Hi, I'm Daniel.
Daniel Morgan supports a smarter, more secure, and more creative web.
My professional career is driven by a desire to empower people and organizations with technological solutions that enhance creative expression and overall impact. I have nearly twenty years of experience as a website builder, technical problem solver, community leader, project manager, and writer—and I’m excited to keep building with non-profits, mission-aligned startups, and creative individuals alike.
- Deep knowledge of web technologies, creative workflows, and media production ranging from video editing, to Epub creation, to color space management
- Expansive understanding of the ever-evolving crypto and web3 spaces in areas of file storage, security, picks & shovels, and self sovereignty.
- Focused, out-of-the-box thinker with years of experience supporting creator-driven products
- Expert-level proficiency with how servers can break in unique ways, web app performance, and the wide Wordpress universe.
- Director of Support at Tumult, the software company behind the HTML5 animation app Hype. My role includes handling all aspects of community management, technical support, front-end web development, tutorial videos, and bug fixing; also providing hands-on support to teams using our software at places like Reuters, Al Jazeera, Amazon Game Studios, Foursquare, and Soundcloud, to name a few.
- Web Developer for Global Glimpse, a nonprofit that provides powerful international travel, leadership, and global learning opportunities to under-resourced high school students.
- Board of Directors for the Coalition to Save the Catskill Preserve, a network of Catskill-park friends working to preserve the Catskills’ communities and forests, and defend them from harmful development projects.
- Crypto-cultural researcher and writer. I have been interested in Bitcoin, Ethereum, and the possibilities of other decentralized tokens and their intersection with social & political meatspace since the age of 'colored coins.' My piece on the Bitcoin scaling debate was published in Hackernoon and tweeted out by Vitalik and shared widely as a resource.
SELECT EXTRAS & PREVIOUS ROLES
- 2020 – Launched a campaign to oppose a hundred-acre hydro-powered dam in the Catskills, alongside dozens of partnering environmental groups. I was elected as the coalition’s Media Chair, and spoke at a press event with New York State Senator Michelle Hinchey.
- 2018 – Moved to the Catskills to launch The Strange Foundation with my wife Willa Koerner, an ongoing project through which we’ve hosted over 100 creative practitioners for retreats and residencies.
- 2017 – Blockchain for Good / Consensys hackathon: Research + writing with the CoverUS team (now a startup).
- 2016 – Built Kickstarter's 2016 year in review for the independent branding studio Gretel. Also built responsive newsletter templates for Kickstarter’s millions-strong audience.
- 2013 – Elected Advisory Board Chair for Global Glimpse, where I organized fundraising events, led meetings, and worked with a network of young professionals to support the organization's New York expansion
- 2010 – Hello Chair, a machine-learning YCombinator startup working to improve app recommendations (aka Explor / Appsaurus)
- 2008 - FreeFarmstand in San Francisco launched to share news about a community project that collects + distributes extra food from farmstands + neighbors in San Francisco. Still cruising along!
- 2008 Project and Engineering Manager @ web design and development agency Gelofactory where we made fun sites for big brands & nice famous people.
- 2008 Graduated Vassar college, majoring in Science Technology & Society. Thesis on Gray Goo & Science Fiction.
- 2007-2008 Internship @ Photography Department of New Yorker Magazine.
- 2002-2004 Random adventures in website building, Filemaker Pro database building & work at TRW / Northrop Grumman as a film assistant & video editor.
You can find me on Medium here.
Latest little experiments
Selected Projects + Web Development
- Thestrange.foundation - Artist residency in the Catskills with Willa Koerner
- Global Glimpse - Non-profit that sends high school students on international service trips
- Save the Catskill Preserve
- Tumult Hype Documentation I know it's documentation, but I had a fun time developing, animating, and writing this (50k word) site.
- Kickstarter: Year in Review 2016 - 3min video walkthrough here. Blog post w/ more info
- Cassandra Jenkins - Fast, simple one-page website.
@danielmorgan on Mastodon
Built in Eleventy 2.0.0-beta.1